Sunday 13 May 2012

Simple pleasures



I have been busy making a little something for a friend who had a birthday this week.  She is due to move house soon and I thought this would be nice for her new home.



It is a simple little pillow of double crochet rows and stuffed with some hollowfibre filling.  The border is the bobble shell edging from Lucy of Attic 24.  I made an i cord strap and a little flower (from no particular pattern).  I have done a little bit of embroidering on crochet and knitting before, but have oftened wondered about embroidering words.  I thought I would give it a try and was pleased with how it turned out! 


Here are some pictures from my garden which is starting to look a little better now that the flowers are beginning to bloom and I have been spending some time nurturing it!  The lovely rhododendrons are looking wonderful and the bees love them.


I love seeing these big buds opening up a little more each day!  The suspense of seeing them bloom is building!  It's amazing how the simple things like this can really brighten a day!


The rhubarb is doing really well and ready for harvesting!   Mmmm rhubarb and custard!  Unfortunately, I am the only one in my family who likes rhubarb at the moment, so any ideas of what I could do with it would be gratefully recieved!


We are very fortunate to have this beautiful big oak tree in our garden and I love it so much.  I grew up as a child with an oak tree in the garden and spent many happy hours climbing it and watching the birds and squirrels that lived in it.  When we discovered this house a year and a half ago, it was the oak tree in the garden that sealed the deal for me!


I love this time of year when the leaves appear and they are so fresh and green and new looking!  Two weeks ago the tree had no leaves at all and now it is covered!


I'll leave you with a picture of a familiar fluffy dandelion head that are so plentiful at this time of year!  I love these and my youngest son does as well!  We have lots in the area outside our garden and at the moment he can't go outside without picking one and blowing it to watch the seeds float away!  He makes joyful squeals everytime!  It is very sweet!  

 

The simple pleasures are often the best!   Hope you all have a lovely week everyone!

4 comments:

  1. What enchanting pics! I have no doubt your friend will love her gift, it is lovely and the fact that it is homemade makes it even more special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty gift, what a lucky friend :) Dandelion heads do look pretty, so soft and great for making wishes... just wish they wouldn't spread their seeds in out garden lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaw loving your crochet pillow, and gorgeous nature pics! Thank you for your comment on my blog, glad you found my blog 'cause now I've found yours :0)
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachel,

    I just noticed victoria's comment above (we also both follow eachother blogs).

    Shes has said exactly what I was going to comment!!! Hehe - maybe we are a double!

    I love that hanging pillow - how long did it take to make? It looks like the perfect birthday gift.

    So thank you for you comment- I look forward to following eachother. Your blog is beautiful and inspiring!

    xx

    ReplyDelete